170g caster sugar
170g butter / vegan butter (I use normally use Vitalite)
270g of unsweetened applesauce
250g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
150g fresh or frozen blackberries
2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp oats
1tsp flaked almonds to sprinkle over the top
1. Preheat oven to 180c
2. Stir together the sugar and butter. Remove 1tbsp of the mixture and put in a separate bowl for the crumble topping.
3. Stir in the apple sauce until combined.
4. Fold in the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt and spices.
5. Fold in the blackberries and pour the mixture into a greased loaf tin.
6. Combine the remaining crumble ingredients with the leftover butter mixture until it has a crumb-like texture.
7. Sprinkle the crumble and flaked almonds over the top of the cake batter.
8. Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer comes out clean. (There may be some blackberry juices on it, ignore those).