Bread has got a lot of hate from diet culture; we love to moralise about it. White bread is seen as “bad”, brown bread is a morally better choice, “we can’t have bread more than once a day”. These are sadly normal ways of viewing bread. But bread is more than just a ‘white carb’ it is one of the oldest foods in the world, humans were making bread 30,000 years ago and different types of bread are found in cultural traditions all across the world. Bread is not the enemy, it is delicious, nourishing and an important part of social eating. You have unconditional permission to enjoy bread.
This is a recipe for a glamourous and delicious, crispy yet soft Italian bread. A show stopper for sharing with friends and family or something to enjoy by yourself, you choose.
250g 00 flour
250g strong bread flour
1.5tsp instant/ fast acting yeast
1 tsp salt flakes (plus extra for the top)
400ml lukewarm water
Extra virgin olive oil
Sprigs of fresh rosemary
- Sprinkle the yeast over the water and leave it a minute or two to start bubbling
- Mix together the two flours and salt mixture
- Pour the yeast water into the flour mixture and mix to combine, knead on a floured surface for about 10 minutes
- Place the dough into an oiled bowl and cover with a damp tea towel, leave to rise for 1 hour.
- Very gently tip the dough out onto a lined baking tray
- Gently stretch the dough towards the edges of the tray
- Use your fingers to form dimples in the dough, brush over with olive oil and press some rosemary sprigs into the dough.
- Cover with a damp cloth and leave to prove for another 30 mins in the tray
- Heat the oven to 220C
- Sprinkle salt flakes generously over the dough and bake for 20 mins or until golden brown.
Hi I’m Sophie, I’m a Registered Dietitian who supports people to heal their relationship with food. My ethos around food is that we should listen to our bodies, respond to our cravings and feed ourselves well. Diet culture has truly messed up a lot of people’s ability to enjoy food. I love making recipes of foods which I find tasty and delicious. I have a collection of my favourite recipes here.
I am also able to support new clients, if you are interested in contacting me you can click here.
I posted a video making this on instagram, which you can find here https://www.instagram.com/cornonthecorb/