Serves 4 , ~50p per portion, vegan.
Using black tea is a great way to replace that tannin flavour that would have come from wine, while being many times cheaper. I learned this trick from Jack Munro- go check out Jack, they have great tips for saving money and eating well. https://cookingonabootstrap.com/
200g brown lentils
1 white onion
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large carrot
2 sticks of celery
2 cloves garlic
1 tin of tomatoes
1 mug of overbrewed black tea
600ml vegan stock (I like the red meat free oxo cube)
2 tbsp soy sauce
Pasta of choice- enough for 4.
1. Wash lentils and soak for at least 2 hours ahead of cooking
2. Finely chop onions and fry in the oil until soft
3. Finely chop the celery and carrot and add to the onions.
4. Add the crushed garlic.
5. Keep stirring until softened and then add the tinned tomatoes, tea, stock and soy sauce.
6. Simmer on a medium heat for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes the lentils should be tender and most of the liquid should have absorbed
7. Cook your pasta, finally add a splash of pasta water to the ragu mixture.